Feb 1, 2024
Geni Whitehouse is a CPA and the President of the ITA, the
Founder of The Impactful Advisor, and a consultant to wineries in
the Napa Valley. Whitehouse’s resume includes roles at Top 100 and
niche accounting firms, accounting software developers, consulting
and advisory practices, and private industry. In her role at the
ITA, she has a mandate to help lead members through an
unprecedented era of change, growth and transformation in the
accounting and technology sectors, from ongoing staff shortages to
private equity investment in firms to the swift entry of generative
AI across sectors.
- The rapid pace of change in the accounting
- Genie White House discusses the unprecedented pace of change in
the accounting and technology sectors.
- Evolving accounting profession through curiosity and
- Geni emphasizes the importance of curiosity and seeking
alternative solutions for clients, rather than relying on the same
group of people at events.
- The gap between those who attend events and those who are not
aware of the opportunities and innovation available is a concern,
as it leads to a lack of evolution and progress in the accounting
- Work-life balance and professional fulfillment for
- Geni expresses frustration with the low-value work that
accountants are consumed with, and the internal desire for
something more rewarding.
- Ed Kless agrees, noting that accountants are often too busy to
raise their prices or prioritize their own needs, leading to a
battle within themselves to elevate the value of their work.
- The future of accounting and bookkeeping
- Geni highlights the challenge of attracting new talent to the
accounting profession, with fewer people graduating with accounting
degrees and the CPA profession facing a shortage of new
- Geni suggests that accountants should adopt a more advisory
role, rather than trying to be the experts, in order to better
serve clients and remain relevant in the industry.
- Asking questions to add value to clients and personal
- Geni shares their approach to adding value to clients by asking
open-ended questions to understand their needs and challenges.
- Geni’s hero is her late father, who made her feel safe and
supported her potential as a girl in a sports-loving family.